The recent advancements in technology have driven the enterprises to revamp their operational model and business workflows. As a result of this, enterprises have now started to discern the need for digital transformation services and their impact on redefining business operations. This change has led to the immense growth of legacy application modernization, one of the most sought-after digital transformation services today.
Over the years, legacy application modernization has always been a subject of debate. Before the digital transformation era, several enterprises considered legacy app modernization could disturb their business operations, which isn’t true in the real case. Earlier, enterprises were reluctant to change; they weren’t concerned about the business threats posed by their legacy application. But, thanks to the digital transformation era that proved “modernization is the key to innovation.” Having realized this, several enterprises today have begun their legacy app modernization journey to:
- Enhance application stability & performance
- Reduce operation costs
- Increase business agility
- Improve compliance
- Upgrade data security
- Adapt to technology changes
The benefits of legacy app modernization are prolific, yet there are a few app modernization challenges that refrain some enterprises to take the big step.
Legacy app modernization with Microsoft Azure
The digital transformation wave has already set in, and it’s high time you think about modernizing your legacy applications. The key to legacy app modernization lies in identifying the right set of tools, platforms, and strategies to modernize and migrate your app to the cloud. This sets the tone for your legacy app modernization; hence it’s important that you choose the best-fit solutions for your app modernization journey.
When it comes to determining the ideal app modernization solution, Microsoft Azure is a name you would often come across. Being an industry leader in cloud service offerings, Microsoft Azure offers a wide array of products, services, and solutions to modernize and migrate your legacy applications to the cloud. Regardless of your data positioning, Microsoft Azure helps you to create secure and future-driven cloud solutions. It also offers diverse microservices that help enterprises build, deploy, and operate applications dealing with larger volumes very quickly.
Some of the significant benefits of Azure microservices are:
- Agility – Individual deployment of microservices will enable you to manage bug fixes and feature releases within a short time frame. The microservice architecture also allows you to easily update a service without disturbing or redeploying the entire application.
- Small code base – Over a time period, the code dependencies in a monolithic application tend to get tangled. Hence, every time when you need to add a new feature into the application, the code must be altered in many places. The microservice architecture’s small code base will enable you to overcome this bottleneck and minimize the code dependencies.
- Fault isolation – One of the significant benefits of the microservice architecture is fault isolation. When an error occurs in any one of the microservice or any microservice becomes unavailable, it wouldn’t disrupt the entire application. The rest of the microservices will continue to function & only fault microservice will be fixed and redeployed.
- Scalability – In the microservice architecture, the entire application is broken down into simpler sub-components for ease of operations. As a result of this, it’s easy to scale services independently rather than scaling the entire application. In this case, you can pack multiple microservices onto a single host for efficient resource utilization.
- Data isolation – The basic and simple principle of the microservice architecture is that each microservice should manage its own data. The isolation of each service’s data store limits the scope of change and also aids in maintaining the agility of the individual deployments.
The pivotal reason why several enterprises choose Microsoft Azure over other platforms is its ability to offer solutions for every possible app modernization scenario.
There isn’t a structured migration strategy that you must always adhere to in cloud migration. The migration approach varies depending on your priorities and business needs; hence, selecting an approach that perfectly align with your requirements is important. Here are the three maturity levels that are commonly preferred while modernizing legacy applications with Microsoft Azure.
Cloud infrastructure-based applications – This is a common migration approach where you simply migrate or rehost your current on-premises applications to the Infrastructure as a Service platform (IaaS). In this scenario, your applications will retain the same composition as before, except for the deployment. Here, the apps will be deployed to virtual machines (VMs) in the cloud. This migration approach is also known as the “Lift & Shift” approach.
Cloud optimized applications – This migration approach will offer you additional benefits without altering or restructuring the application code. You can run your application in the cloud with recent technologies like containers and other cloud-managed services. This approach will also enhance your applications’ agility to ship faster by improving the (DevOps) process. This model will also enable you to deploy containers on PaaS or IaaS while leveraging the cloud-managed services.
Cloud-native applications – This migration approach has its focal point on the business needs of your mission-critical applications. In this model, you use the PaaS services to migrate your legacy applications to the computing platforms. Microservices architecture plays a prominent role in this approach by improving the agility of your applications. Migration to cloud-native application and microservice-based model will demand new code quite often. Compared to the monolithic and on-premises environment, this cloud-native model offers you a lot of significant benefits.
Microsoft Azure – the innovation toolkit
Microsoft Azure is an enterprise-ready cloud computing platform that offers a wide array of tools and technologies to enhance your business operations. It provides an environment to transform your ideas into business solutions with Azure products and services. Microsoft Azure offers various tools, applications, and solutions to solve your business problems. Some of the important application services offered by Microsoft Azure are Azure Web App, Azure Mobile App, Azure Logic App, Azure Function, and Web Jobs.
Modernizing legacy applications using Microsoft Azure offers several significant benefits like:
Azure app modernization solution – the future is here
Do not let your legacy application hinder your business growth anymore; it’s time for a change. Leverage Microsoft Azure’s diverse app modernization solutions and redefine your old legacy system. As a Microsoft certified partner, our longstanding years of experience in app modernization services will breathe new life into year legacy systems. With an adept panel of modernization experts and a unique modernization approach, you can be well assured of our Azure app modernization solutions.
Before you leave, take a quick look at our Azure app modernization services and find out why PreludeSys stands out from the crowd.
Dive Deep into our App Modernization Services